Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Book # 3: Persepolis 2...say whaaaat?


Book #3: Persepolis 2: Marjane Satrapi

I am fairly sure, my avid readers, that you are thinking what I am thinking—another book, really?  Before the end of January (well, by the time you read this/I post this it will be February)…

However, as this book is a graphic novel, it isn’t what you would consider a slow read.  The graphics are very enjoyable, though, and you should take the time to look at them.

“Persepolis 2” is actually a combination of the original books 3 and 4, but when the book was translated from it’s original language, they (the omnipresent they) decided to combine into one book.  This book isn’t a newer one; in fact it is kind of funny how I stumbled onto this find.

So there I was, sitting in a steam sauna, steaming it up, waiting for 15 minutes to go by when I noticed a magazine.  I picked it up, glanced through it and saw a review for “Persepolis.”  Seems interesting enough.  When I looked at the date when the magazine was printed it was from 2007 (obviously the gym’s magazine was a little dated); the book was originally translated in 2004.  I ended up putting it on hold at my local Multnomah County library the next day.

All of the "Persepolis" books are really interesting to read.  I believe that when the author wrote it she wrote it to inform white people that not all middle easterners are terrorists - of course she doesn't say it quite so forthright in her interviews, but I do have an English minor and I can read between the lines: this book is for all the ignoramuses out there who are internally racist.  Now of course I know this doesn't apply to all you who are reading this; you are much more cultured.  And a lot has happened in the last 10 years, so that there are more people who understand culture and its various functions, even though we cultured may sometimes be more silent in the crowd.

With that tangential rant in mind, you should read this book.  It is really well written and captivating.  The author goes through many trials in her life, including identity crises (moving form an eastern culture to a western culture, growing up, etc.,), and several devastating losses that no child should endure, but happens more often than people care to admit.

Enjoy this book, and if you have any recommendations for me I'd be happy to read them.

Peace and read with fervency!

No comments:

Post a Comment